Saturday, November 08, 2008

A sure sign of aging

For the past several years I haven't quite been my old self. I'm not even sure what that means. But many of life's twists and turns have shaped me, some more deeply than others, especially recent ones. I have officially hit the big M. The hot flashes started last summer; sometimes only minutes apart and going on like this all day. Fall came and they went away. They have returned this spring with a vengance and now the night sweats are ruining my life. I remember dismissing other women's complaints about waking up soaking wet and having to change PJs and sheets. How ridiculous! I thought those ladies were wimps and whiners. That's probably why I'm suffering; I judged. When I realized how my lack of quality sleep was ruining my waking life, I opted to try HRT. I also had sworn I wouldn't lower myself to depending on drugs but I decided that with the other negative forces in life I'm fighting, why hinder my poor body even more? The Dr. said it would take about a week for the low dose to kick in, but the night sweats have stopped. The hot flashes are tolerable. I hope to only be on this hormone for a year or less. I don't know if my mental state will morph, but I am feeling better overall.

Update June 2012:  I stayed on the HRT about 2 months and gave up.  The day and night sweats returned with a vengeance so my "dew rag" was a constant and welcome companion.  The mental fog has lifted and I think I'm "normal" again; whatever that means, maybe a new normal?  The sweats are mostly history.  Could use some moisture in other areas, but not gonna happen without the hormones.  These bodies weren't designed to keep us content forever.  I'm looking for my new one already!