Saturday, September 24, 2005

Rebuilding a Base

I am trying to rebuild a running base after suffering some emotional setbacks for several months. There is definitely a connection between the mental(psychological) and the physical. Some runners use their running time to deal with emotional pain but I wasn’t able to generate enough energy to get out the door for the first steps. Tuesday of this week I experienced a breakthrough and I don’t even know exactly why. The word “release” kept coming to mind, I read a quote explaining the difference between physical pain and psychological suffering, and I heard the song by Jo Dee Messina, “My Give a Damn’s Busted.” Perhaps my cup of suffering has been filled. For a season. Some how I have been released from the torture of depression and worry (which have nothing to do with running). I do not want to experience this type of hell again. My chiropractor has worked diligently with me, I’ve been faithful with my vitamins and supplements and my running the last few days has been great.

On Thursday 9-22, I ran in my subdivision and Collins Hill park for 30 minutes before my tennis match. It was a slow jog and very refreshing. The tennis match was a hard fought victory with Kim Davies 6-7, 6-2, 6-2. The match was closer than the scores might indicate. Emotionally it was huge. We were down in the first set 5-2.

Friday was a 5.5 miler 57 minutes at Suwanee Greenway. Its flat, mostly shade, paved track along a stream. Out and back. With about a mile to go, for the first time I practiced breathing technique, barely saying “Yah on the exhalation and “Weh” on the inhalation. It’s one name God calls Himself. My hamstring kept tightening and appears to remain a big concern for longer runs.

Today, my husband had a flying lesson at the airport about 8 miles from our home. I ran home from there, 9 am, sunny, breezy, 75 to 80 degrees. 1:20 time with ample walking breaks, stashed water at halfway mark, hamstring cramping, but stretches along the way helped. Iced afterward. Being able to run this far was very encouraging. I had hoped to do the Stump Jump 11 miler on Oct 8th, but that is too much too soon. Especially in the mountains. I’ve noticed my hill running is particularly labored. A good friend honked at me near the end, so that was a great encouragement to finish strong with a smile.